In the framework of the project entitled “Support to the Reforms of SHPPs through a Dialogue between the Public and The Ministry of Nature Protection of the RA for the Purpose of River Ecosystem Use” the expert group visited “Amasia” SHPP. “Amasia” SHPP is located in the administrative areas of Hovtun community and Amasia Town, Shirak Region. The SHPP is constructed on the Akhuryan River (length – 186 km). The SHPP is operated by “ERSTED” LLC.
As a result of the monitoring, the expert group found out:
- The SHPP has been operating since 2014.
- According to the project, the static pressure of the SHPP is 33.5m, estimated pressure –28.7m, according to the certificate issued by the Public Services Regulatory Committee-33m. According to the project, the estimated yield used by the SHPP is 6.0m3/s, projected capacity – 1000kW, according to the certificate issued by the Public Services Regulatory Committee, capacity – 1600 kW. According to the certificate issued by the Public Services Regulatory Committee, the factual useful delivery of the electricity is 6.05million kWh, according to the project, the estimated production is 1.025 million kWh, duration of license - 28.08.2013-28.08.2028, water usage permit - 13.01.2011-08.01.2013. The SHPP has applied to extend water usage permit.
- There are certain incompliances between the real coordinates in water intake and discharge sections and the coordinates laid down in the water usage permit.
- The water intake section structures don’t comply with project solutions: a four-meter-long dam has been constructed in the head section versus 2.6 meters under the project.
- A stair-like fish passway made of concrete has been constructed in the section with the following parameters: length – 19.50 meters, width – 1.15 meters and height – 1 meter. There are 12 stairs, the distance among them I 1.3-.1.8 meters. The stairs are made of metallic baffles, which have slots for the movement of the fish. The location, smallness of the holes located on the fish passway baffles and high water pressure create essential difficulties for the natural movement of the small fish species, as well as for red-listed asp up the river.
- There is a garbage collector of 7.5 meter length; the distance of the slots is 2-2.5 cm. Fish having 8-10 cm length will appear in the SHPP pipeline through this net.
- There is no fish-protecting net in the SHPP head section, although SHPP project has designed fish-protecting net.
- You can meet the following species in the Akhuryan River, where the SHPP head section is constructed,
Brout trout Salmo fario (meets unregularly),
The Sevan khramulya (Capoeta capoeta)
The Kura nase (Chondrostoma cyri)
The squalius (Squalius orientalis)
Kura barbell (Barbus cyri)
The South Caspian sprilin (Alburnoides eichwaldii)
The Angora loach (Oxynօemacheilus angorae)
The Kura loach (Oxynօemacheilus brandtii)
The asp (Aspius aspius) (red-listed in Armenia)
The Kura bleak (Alburnus filippii)
The Prussian carp (Carassius gibelio) (climate-accustomed)
The stone moroko (Pseudorasbora parva) (climate-accustomed).
- The environmental flow is laid down 1.80 cum/s in the water usage permit.
- Upwards the SHPP an uncontrollable water intake takes place, because of which it’s impossible to determine the amount of water reaching the SHPP.
- According to the water usage permit data, the SHPP shouldn’t operate for 5 months – January, February, October, November and December. The SHPP shall operate from May to September in the irrigation season. Nevertheless, according to “Computation Center” CJSC data, in 2014 “Amasia” SHPP didn’t operate for 7 months and produced 584142 kW electricity.
- The length of derivation pipeline is 806 meters, diameter – 1.6 meters, which complies with the project data. The pipeline is buried under the ground.
- Percentage Correlation of aggregate lenght (3133m) of “Amasia” (according to project 806m), “Paros” (according to project 1740m), and “Marmashen” (according to project 587m) SHPPs direvation with the lenght of Aghstev River makes up 1.68%.
- Four turbines of local manufacture have been installed in the SHPP building, but only three were operating.
- SHPP substation is fenced where turbines are installed oil-collecting system.
- A water-proof well is designed for sewage discharge.
- Free water usage requirements were performed.
- Landscape violations and landslides are not observed.
- There is no water-meter sealed by a relevant environmental body in the water intake.
- Automatic management system of the water level in the water intake is missing.
Serious problems may arise with the effectiveness of SHPP operation, as it’s impossible to calculate precise water amount, there is a conflict with irrigation system. For this reason, decrease in environmental flow or complete deprival of water is possible in low-water season.
1. Collect and professionally collect hydrological data taking into consideration that the water taken for the irrigation is not controlled and, if needed, review the water usage permit.
2. To install a water-meter sealed by a relevant environmental body and semi-automatic water level management system.
3. To make the structure of the fish passway compliance with the living requirements and physical capabilities of the fish species living in the river.
4. To find technical solution to install a fish-protecting net.
The material was developed in the frames of “Supporting reforms in the sector of small hydro power plants through enabling a dialogue between civil society and the Ministry of Nature Protection for sustainable use of river ecosystems” supported by UNDP/GEF Small Grants Programme".
18:08 September 10, 2015