Recently the press and social networks have disseminated information that cracks have emerged on the dam of the tailing dump owned by ‘Teghout’ CJSC, a part of ‘Vallex’ Group Company and that the tails of the tailing dump flow into the Shnogh and then into the Debed Rivers. According to the locals, the tailing dump gets full very quickly and the dam of the tailing dump may not resist the pressure and get destroyed. These reasons were mentioned to be the main reasons for the suspension of Teghout Ore Smelting Combine operation. Earlier, the Dutch pension fund, Pension Danmark, and EKF, Denmark’s Export Credit Agency, refused from funding Teghout copper and molybdenum mining project reasoning their step with the leaks out of the catch basin of Teghout mine and non-compliance of the dam of Teghout tailing dump with the contractually set requirements and conditions.
In this regard, ‘EcoLur’ Informational NGO has sent an enquiry to Valery Mejlumyan, Chairman of ‘Vallex’ Group Company, requesting to inform:
1. What are the reasons of stopping the operation of Teghout Ore Smelting Combine and when the operation is planned to be resumed?
2. Whether the suspension of the combine operation is conditioned with the tailing dump getting full quickly and its leaks?
3. What is the state of the Teghout tailing dump in terms of safety, technical and environmental terms?
4. What are the measures taken by the company to prevent leaks in the tailing dump area and, in case of any leaks, measures aimed at the prevention of environmental pollution and compensation of damage caused to the locals?
5. How much ore has been mined by ‘Teghout’ CJSC since its launch of development and, currently, what is the extent of Teghout tailing dump fullness, and how many years the tailing dump may serve mining in case of project-approved volumes.
6. How will you comment the withdrawal of the Dutch pension fund, Pension Danmark, and EKF, Denmark’s Export Credit Agency, from funding Teghout copper and molybdenum mining project?
7. How many hectares of forest have been felled down since the launch of Teghout copper and molybdenum mining project, as well as how many hectares of forests or orchards have been planted and where? What’s the percentage of the grown forest?
14:59 January 23, 2018