In the framework of the project entitled “Support to SHPP-relating Reforms Through the Dialogue of Public and RA Nature Protection Ministry for Sustainable Use of River Ecosystems” the expert group visited “Getik 4” SHPP. “Getik 4” SHPP is located in Vayots Dzor Region, in the administrative area of Areni Community. The SHPP carries out water intake in the administrative area of Dzoravanq Community, Gegharkounik Region, and the water discharge is carried out in the administrative area of Aghavnavanq community, Tavush Region. The SHPP is constructed on the Getik River (length – 58 km). It’s operated by “A&G Style” LLC.
As a result of the monitoring, the expert group found out:
- According to the certificate issued by the Public Services Regulatory Committee on 1 January 2016 and the project, the estimated pressure of the SHPP is 103.7 m. According to the project and the PSRC certificate, the estimated yield used by the SHPP is 4 m3/s. According to the PSRC certificate and the project, the projected capacity is 3330 kW. According to the PSRC, as of 01.01.2016 the factual useful delivery of the electricity is 12.35 million kWh, duration of license - 04.04.2014-04.12.2029, water usage permit - 12.10.2012 - 12.02.2013.
- The differences between the water intake and water discharge coordinates mentioned in the water usage permit and the real coordinates is insignificant.
- The water intake section consists of a two-compartment sand trap and a two-section dam. At the moment of observation, the SHPP was not operating because of the breakdown in the pipeline.
- The length of the concrete dam is 17 m, its height is 3.3m.
- There is a fish passway constructed in the left part of the dam, which is 1.5 m wide and 20 m long and it has 12 cages. The length of the cages is 1.7 m and the water flows through the bars. There is a regulation valve installed on the entrance of the fish passway, which can regulate the water amount flowing into the fish passway by raising or lowering it up to entire blocking.
- The river water flows into the first cage from the height of one meter, which makes the movement of the fish in both directions of the river impossible.
- The sand trap is equipped with garbage-collecting cage net, there is a net at the entrance of the pipeline, and the distance between its bars is 2.5 cm.
- You can meet brown trout, South Caucasus Sprilin, Kura barbell, Kura loach, Prussian carp in the Getik River. Very frequently the rainbow trout and sometimes capr penetrate into this river from the fish farms.
- According to the project, the length of the pipeline is 5200 meters, and its diameter is 1,4 m. It’s not buried.
- Percentage correlation of aggregate length of SHPP derivation pipelines (24188 meters) of “Erik” SHPP (the length of the derivation pipeline is 2050 meters, according to the project), “Getik 1” SHPP (according to the project, it’s length is 7260m), “Getik 4” SHPP (the length of the derivation pipeline is 5200 meters, according to the project) with the length of Getik River makes up 25.01 %.
- According to the water usage permit, “Getik SHPP-4” SHPP sets 0.143 cum/s environmental flow in the river.
- Automatic management and recording of water intake and environmental flow is not ensured.
- There is a ruler in the water intake section, which measures the water level used for the SHPP.
- The expert group didn’t visit the SHPP building, as it was closed. There were three hydroaggregates installed in the station instead of 2 planned ones.
- At the moment of observation the area of the station was not improved and greened: it was full of different types of wastes.
- Only the transformer station is fenced. There was no oil-collector under the transformers.
- According to “Computation Center” CJSC data, in 2014 “Getik SHPP-4” SHPP operated for 7 months – from July to December and produced 758008 kW electricity (estimated production is 12.35 million kW, according to the project).
- The nearby specially protected areas of nature are “Dilijan” National Park, Tchambarak Forestry Enterprise and “Getik” Reserve.
- To ensure automatic management of environmental flow in the head section, installation of water-measuring devices and online control.
- To receive a water usage permit, which will review the environmental flow of 0.413 m3/s with tendency to increase it, as such water amount can’t ensure the natural state of the river ecosystem and biodiversity.
- To reconstruct the fish passway to ensure the natural movement of the fish. Before that to remove the metallic construction blocking the entrance of the fish passway.
- The use of the dam may be refused and to carry out the water intake in another way without blocking the riverbed.
- To improve and green the station area and to carry out tree planting. To bury the pipeline under the ground.
- To equip the transformers with oil-collecting system.
Photos by Levon Galstyan
The material was developed in the frames of “Supporting reforms in the sector of small hydro power plants through enabling a dialogue between civil society and the Ministry of Nature Protection for sustainable use of river ecosystems” supported by UNDP/GEF Small Grants Programme".
12:13 April 22, 2016