In the framework of the project entitled “Support to SHPP-relating Reforms Through the Dialogue of Public and RA Nature Protection Ministry for Sustainable Use of River Ecosystems” the expert group visited “Geghi-2” SHPP. “Geghi-2” SHPP is located in Vayots Dzor Region, in the administrative area of Lernadzor Community. The SHPP is constructed on the Geghi River, a tributary to the Voghji (length – 30 km). It’s operated by “ErimEnergy” LLC.
As a result of the monitoring, the expert group found out:
- The SHPP has been operating since 2013.
- According to the company, the static pressure of the SHPP is 58 m, according to the certificate issued by the Public Services Regulatory Committee on 1 January 2016 and the project, the estimated pressure of the SHPP is 49.85 m. According to the project and the PSRC certificate, the estimated yield used by the SHPP is 4.5 m3/s. According to the the project, the projected capacity is 1800 kW and according to the PSRC certificate, it’s 900 kW. According to the PSRC, as of 01.01.2016 the factual useful delivery of the electricity is 9.15 million kWh, the estimated production of the SHPP is 9.15 million kWh, according to the project, duration of license - 11.06.2014-11.06.2029, water usage permit - 20.09.2012- 20. 01.2013.
- The water intake and water discharge coordinates mentioned in the water usage comply with the real coordinates.
- “Geghi-2” SHPP carries out water intake 20 meters down “Zangezour Copper and Molybdenum Combine” water intake. The structures of the water intake section comply with the project solutions. The concrete dam has length of 13 meters and height of 4 meters.
- There is no fish passway in the SHPP head section, because of which the fish living in the river can’t move up the river. Besides, we were able to observe brown trou in the lake generated because of the dam in the head section.
- The fish passway hasn’t been planned with the substantiation that around 20 meters above the SHPP water intake an industrial water intake is carried out and above it “Geghi” reservoir is located and the availability of these structures makes this structure out of any sense. The project didn’t plan to have a fish passway with the same substantiation.
- At the beginning of the pressure pipeline there is a garbage-collecting cage net of 3.8 meters long, and the distanc between its bars is 8-15 cm. Such distance between the bars can’t be an obstacle for the fish to find themselves in the pressure pipeline.
- In the lower reach of the Geghi River, where the SHPP head section is constructed, you can meet brown trout, South Caucasus Sprilin, Kura barbell, as well as loach, Kura loach and other fish species. The presence of rainbow trout and Prussian carp is possible.
- According to the project, the length of the steel pipeline is 2849 meters and its diameter is 1420 mm.
- Percentage correlation of aggregate length of SHPP derivation pipeline of “Geghi-2” SHPP with the length of the river makes up 30.46 %. If “Geghi-1” SHPP is constructed (6500 meters), it will pipe 30.46% of the river.
- According to the water usage permit, the SHPP can annually take 73.23 million cum/s water intake ensuring 0.143 cum/s environmental flow in the river. At the moment of observation, there was no water of 0.660 cum/s in the river after the water intake.
- The environmental flow in the Geghi River is ensured through a pipe installed in the left part of the dam.
- Automatic management and recording of water intake and environmental flow is not ensured.
- At the moment of observation, the SHPP was not operating. There are 4 aggregates of local production installed in the SHPP building each of them 630 KW projected capacity. The generators were of Soviet production. At the moment of observation, a part of them was being repaired.
- There is semi-automated management system operating in the station.
- The transformer substation is fenced, the transformers are not equipped with oil-collecting system.
- According to “Computation Center” CJSC data, in 2014 “Geghi-2” SHPP operated for 10 months and produced 1461492 kW electricity. The SHPP didn’t produce electricity in January and February.
- The greening and improvement works carried out in the station area were not sufficient.
- The requirements posed to the conservation and use of fertile soil layer are not complied with, no reclaiming has been carried out.
- There is no water-meter sealed by a relevant environmental body in the water intake.
- No SHPP inspections have been carried out.
Because of inefficient equipment and unreliable hydrological data, the use of the water aount by the station is not expedient, so water usage permit data shall be reviewed.
- A fish passway shall be constructed to ensure free-of-obstacle movement of the fish and the environmental flow let out into the river. A fish passway shall be also constructed past the dam of Geghi reservoir.
- The use of the dam may be refused and to carry out the water intake in another way without blocking the riverbed.
- To ensure automatic management of environmental flow in the head section, installation of water-measuring devices and online control.
- To equip the transformers with oil-collecting system.
- To entirely re-equip the station.
The material was developed in the frames of “Supporting reforms in the sector of small hydro power plants through enabling a dialogue between civil society and the Ministry of Nature Protection for sustainable use of river ecosystems” supported by UNDP/GEF Small Grants Programme".
19:12 April 19, 2016