In the frames of "Supporting New Reforms in SHPP Sector through CSO-Government Dialogue" project, the expert group visited "Haghpat 2" SHPP, which is located in the administrative area of Haghpat Community, Lori Region, Armenia. The SHPP uses the flow of Kistum Tributary to the Debed River and 200 l/s yield of irrigation water of Haghpat Community. The Kistum Tributary is the right tributary to the Debed River and its length is 13 km. "Haghpat 2" SHPP is operated by "Ost-L" LLC, which also operates "Haghpat 1" SHPP. Both SHPPs are of cascade type. As a result of the monitoring, the expert group found out:
· "Haghpat 2" SHPP can carry out water intake of 16178 million within 12 months from river ensuring the environmental flow of 0.06 cum/s, while the project sets an environmental flow of 0.08 cum/s.
· There is no water-meter sealed by the relevant environmental body for the calculation of the environmental flow.
· The structure of the fish passway and the structure of the dam are not favorable to ensure the movement of the fish.
· You can meet the following fish species in the Kistum River: the brown trout, Kura barbell, the South Caucasus Spirlin, the Sevan Khramulya. You can also meet carp and other fish species penetrating here from the fish farm ponds operating on the bank of the river.
· The percentage correlation of the SHPP derivation length constructed on the Kistum River with the river length makes up 34.88%.
· The reconstruction of the fish passway is needed for the purpose of ensuring the natural movement of all fish species of different sizes (particularly that of small fish species) and constant environmental flow.
· To equip water-intake section with automated management, online supervision systems, and water-measuring devices, which will enable to regulate and control the water amount used by the SHPP and the amount of the set environmental flow.
· To re-equip the SHPP with aggregates, which will have an entirely automated management system, will supervise water amount in the water intake section and operate will less amount of water.
· To carry out the discharge of the wastewater through a water-proof well or a 'mini' cleaning station.
· To install a cellular net at the entrance of the pipeline to hinder the flow of young fish into the pipeline or turbine.
· As "Haghpat 2" SHPP produces two times as little electricity as the projected indicators are, it's proposed to review hydroeconomic estimates with a tendency to increase the amount of the environmental flow in the river set in the water usage permit – 60 l/s (the project says it's 80 l/s)
· To equip the transformers with an oil-collecting system.
The material was developed in the frames of “Supporting new reforms in SHPP sector through CSO-government dialogue” supported by UNDP/GEF Small Grants Programme".
17:28 August 30, 2017