In the frames of "Supporting New Reforms in SHPP Sector through CSO-Government Dialogue" project, the expert group visited "Qarahunj" SHPP, which is located in the administrative area of Qarahunj Community, Syunik Region, Armenia. The SHPP is constructed on the (Goris) Vararak River, the length of which is 29 km. "Qarahunj" SHPP is operated by "QARAHUNJ HPP" LLC.
• To reconstruct the water intake section and to construct a fish passway in line with the standards so as regardless of the SHPP water intake, it will ensure sufficient conditions for the environmental flow in a priority and the movement of the fish.
• It's necessary to regularly carry out load sediment cleaning works in the water intake section (fish passway and dam) for obstacle-free environmental flow into the river.
• To have water-meter equipment for online data transmission sealed by relevant water basin territorial management unit of Department for Water Resources of RA Nature Protection Ministry, through which the online transmission data will be ensured, as well as the water amount used by the SHPP and control and supervision of the environmental flow.
• To re-equip the SHPP with technically more efficient aggregates, which will have an entirely automated management system and operate will less amount of water.
• To equip the entrance part of the pipeline with a network with finer cells so as to prevent the flow of the small fish into the pipeline, as well as to recover the fish passway available in the original project design.
• In order to abolish the antisanitary condition in the riverbed, it's urgent to develop garbage collection and garbage discharge projects by Akner, Goris, Verishen, Qarahunj communities. Urgent measures should be taken to regulate this problem.
The material was developed in the frames of “Supporting new reforms in SHPP sector through CSO-government dialogue” supported by UNDP/GEF Small Grants Programme".
18:03 December 11, 2017