In the framework of the project entitled “Support to SHPP-relating Reforms Through the Dialogue of Public and RA Nature Protection Ministry for Sustainable Use of River Ecosystems” the expert group visited “Yeghegis 2” SHPP. “Yeghegis 2” SHPP is located in Vayots Dzor Region. The SHPP is constructed on the Yeghegis River (length – 47 km). It’s operated by “RAEL GES” LLC.
As a result of the monitoring, the expert group found out:
- The SHPP has been operating since May 2013.
- According to the certificate issued by the Public Services Regulatory Committee on 1 October 2015, the estimated pressure of the SHPP is 65.98 m. According to the project, the estimated yield used by the SHPP is 4 m3/s, according to the PSRC certificate it’s 3.98 m3/s. According to the project and the PSRC certificate, the projected capacity is 2110 kW. According to the PSRC, as of October 2015 the factual useful delivery of the electricity is 7.5647 million kWh, the estimated production of the SHPP without the dotation from Arpa-Sevan tunnel is 5․86 million kWh, with the dotation from Arpa-Sevan tunnel it’s 7․17 million kWh, duration of license - 15.05.2013-15.05.2028, water usage permit - 15.11.2013-15.11.2016.
- There are incompliances between the real coordinates of the water intake and water discharge points, the height above sea level and those mentioned in the water usage permit.
- “Yeghegis 2” SHPP carried out water intake directly after the discharge point of “Yeghegis 3” SHPP. The length of concrete dam of the SHPP is 15 m, its height is 2.6 m.
- There is a fish passway constructed in the right part of the dam, and there are metallic angles installed on the entrance, which can increase it, if needed, and close it entirely. The fish passway can’t entirely ensure the free movement of all the fish species inhabiting in the river because of the height of the stairs. The project planned to have a fish passway with concrete stairs – 1.0 m wide, 0.3 m high and 10 m. long.
- You can meet the following fish species in this section of the river: Kura barbell, Sevan khramulya (red-listed in Armenia), brown trout, Kura loach, and rainbow trout.
- The pipeline is made of steel, its length is 2138 according to the project and 2050 m. according to the PSRC certificate, its diameter is 1420x12 mm according to the project and 1200 mm according to the PSRC certificate. The real length of the pipeline complies with the project data.
- Percentage correlation of aggregate length of SHPP derivation pipelines (24188 meters) of “Yeghegis 1” SHPP (the length of the derivation pipeline is 4000 meters, according to the certificate issued by the Public Services Regulatory Committee on 1 January 2015), “Yeghegnadzor” SHPP (according to the project, it’s length is 3250m, 54m), “Yeghegnadzor SHPP 1” SHPP (the length of the derivation pipeline is 2650 meters, according to the project), “Yeghegis 3” (the length of the derivation pipeline is 931.37 meters, according to the certificate issued by the Public Services Regulatory Committee on 1 January 2015), “Yeghegis 2” SHPP (the length of the derivation pipeline is 2138 meters, according to the project), “Yegheg” SHPP (the length of the derivation pipeline is 1924 meters, according to the project), “Goghtanik” SHPP (the length of the derivation pipeline is 1400 meters, according to the project), “Yeghegis” SHPP (the length of the derivation pipeline is 2450 meters), “Tigran Mets” SHPP (the length of the derivation pipeline is 2691 meters), “Khachi Qar” SHPP (the length of the derivation pipeline is 2240 meters) with the length of Yeghegis River makes up 51.46 %.
- The following SHPPs are planned to be constructed on the Yeghegis River: “Alnars” SHPP - “Alnars” LLC developer (according to the PSRC certificate, the length of the pipeline is 2300 meters), “Yeghegnut” SHPP – “VTV Energy” developer (according to the PSRC certificate, the length of the pipeline is 2665 meters), “Elis” SHPP – “Elis HPP” LLC developer (according to the PSRC certificate, the SHPP will be constructed on the Yeghegis and Soghanlu Rivers, the length of the pipelines is 2360,0 and 2288,0 meters),
- According to the water usage permit, “Yeghegis 2” SHPP can take water 125209.8 cum/s in all 12 months ensuring 0.11 cum/s environmental flow in the river. At the moment of observation, there was full water in the river and the set environmental flow complies with, as additional amount of water was let out into the river because of Arpa-Sevan aqueduct rehabilitation.
- According to “Computation Center” CJSC data, in 2014 “Yeghegis 2” SHPP operated for 12 months and produced 7564330 kW electricity.
- The equal distribution of the electricity production per months is explained with the fact that a large amount of water is let out into the Yeghegis River from the Kechut reservoir through Arpa-Sevan tunnel above the water intake points, which ensures artificial increase in the river flow in low-water seasons.
- There are three local aggregates installed in the station, the project planned to have 4.
- Automatic management and recording of water intake and environmental flow is not ensured.
- There is entirely automated management system in the station.
- There is no water-meter sealed by a relevant environmental body in the water intake, though the State Environmental Inspection of Nature Protection Ministry has assigned to install a water-measuring device in the SHPP by 1 April 2015 (The visit of the expert group was held in November 2015).
- The discharge of the construction garbage, household wastes and wastewater is not sufficient.
- The nearby specially protected area of nature is “Yeghegnadzor” reserve, the location of which is the Yeghegis river basin of the right-bank tributary of the Arpa River in Vayots Dzor Region at 1200-2800 meters above sea level.
- The State Environmental Inspection of Nature Protection Ministry imposed a fine of 200,000 AMD on the SHPP.
- To ensure automatic management of environmental flow in the head section, installation of water-measuring devices and online control.
- To remove the construction installed the block the entrance of the fish passway.
- To review the amount of environmental flow to increase it, as the environmental flow of 0.04 cum/s is too low and can’t ensure the natural state of the river ecosystem and biodiversity.
- To calculate the real amount of the water flowing in the Yeghegis River taking into consideration the water amount let out into the Yeghegis River from the Kechut reservoir through Arpa-Sevan tunnel.
- To re-equip the station with up-to-date and efficient equipment.
The material was developed in the frames of “Supporting reforms in the sector of small hydro power plants through enabling a dialogue between civil society and the Ministry of Nature Protection for sustainable use of river ecosystems” supported by UNDP/GEF Small Grants Programme".
17:04 April 07, 2016