EcoLur continues publishing opinions on 'Concept Paper on Forest Sector Reforms'. According to the concept paper, it's planned to unite forestry enterprises and specifically protected areas of nature under one umbrella. Below is 'Sustainable Caucasus' Project (SCOPE) National Coordinator Armen Gevorgyan's opinion:
Priorities (certain primary actions):
The current short-term priority in forest-sector policy (for upcoming 5 years) is to drastically reduce the demand for fuelwood in the country, for which it is proposed:
1. Imposing tax and customs privileges for the import of timber to encourage import economically (application of unfavorable regime for export),
2. Initial state support to the types of business established on the imported timber (sale of timber, its processing, and realization) and support to creating more working places,
3. Introduction of alternative energy carriers in the communities (solar, wind, vegetation etc) and implementation of energy efficient programs,
4. Implementation of projects aimed at fast-growing tree planting in the communities for the further production of fuelwood in the community areas,
5. Encouraging small business in the near-forest communities (state support and subsidy, promotion of investments, privileged loans, circulating environmental funds etc), tax exemption.'
Read the full version in Armenian.
November 02, 2017 at 17:30