As a result of Lake Sevan freezing in 2017, the artificial cage nets installed in the lake were damaged, which led to the escape of the fish into the lake – around 97%, 112 tons out of the existing 116 tons of fish, while remaining 3% was eliminated due to the deformation of cage nets, as the letter of Sevan Trout Reserve Recovery and Fish Breeding Development Foundation addressed to EcoLur says.
Reminder: EcoLur has sent an enquiry to Sevan Trout Reserve Recovery and Fish Breeding Development Foundation to find out the impact of Lake Sevan Trout Reserve Recovery Program on Lake Sevan and the list of the environmental measures implemented by the Foundation with the funds received due to the program. The letter of the Foundation says,
‘Organic pollution’, as a matter of fact, is the leak of nutrition substances from the enterprise into the lake. In order to assess the impact of the enterprise owned by ‘Sevan Aqua’ CJSC on Lake Sevan, we present one statistical example. During 2016 when there was the largest fish biomass in the enterprise, only 500 kg of phosphorus leaked out into the lake, when, at the same time, over 500 tons of phosphorus flowed into the lake through the river.
Organic and inorganic pollution is a pressing problem in Lake Sevan and the best solution to this problem is the increase in the flora and fauna biomass in the lake, as well as their taking out of the lake. One of the charter objectives of the complex program is the recovery of the fish reserves in the lake, which means an increase in the industrial biomass of the fish in Lake Sevan by 50-100 tomes, which besides economic, social and strategic role will also have an environmental impact – particularly, decrease in the organic pollution of the lake.
What about chemical pollution generated from cage net economies, the enterprise owned by ‘Sevan Aqua’ CJSC doesn’t contain such a risk and the only ‘chemical pollution’ is the leak of the aforementioned organic substance.
What about ‘escape of genetically different fish out of the cage nets and their cross breeding with the wild forms’, the enterprise owned by ‘Sevan Aqua’ CJSC doesn’t contain such a risk either, as it breeds exclusively Sevan Trout.
· The prevalent majority of the funds provided to the Foundation in the frames of the project has been invested into the wide-scale production of Sevan Trout and formation of a sustainable value chain of realization. According to the complex program, the funds invested into the fish reserve recovery in Lake Sevan and other problems will add essentially, when the aforementioned value chain and program have s stable profit. So far, 9 billion AMD has been provided to the Program.
· There are currently 9 cage nets owned by the Foundations, out of which 4 are empty, while 60 tons of fish of different sizes are kept in other 5 cage nets. The number of the cage nets won’t probably increase by the end of 2018.
· As it’s known, each disease requires relevant treatment with proper medications. In case of revealing any disease, the need of using antibiotics can’t be excluded. It should be mentioned that unlike water ponds with limited volume of water, the use of antibiotics is not desirable, and it is much less effective in terms of combating diseases. In case of revealing diseases in our enterprise, the fish are transferred and treated in closed ponds.
· As a result of Lake Sevan freezing in 2017, the artificial cage nets installed in the lake were damaged, which led to the escape of the fish into the lake – around 97%, 112 tons out of the existing 116 tons of fish on 31.01.2017, while remaining 3% was eliminated due to the deformation of cage nets.
· Taking into the consideration that in 2017 a huge amount of fish of different sizes escaped cage nets, a decision was reached not to let out into the lake large amounts of young fish. Fish was let out only in small amounts and for experimental purposes.
· It should also be mentioned that in the previous years, 2015-2017,over 2.3 million young fish and fish of larger sizes were let out into Lake Sevan, which is more than the amount of fish let out with the state program for 2005-2015.
19:56 February 19, 2018